RECIPE: Bagels with Apple Filling
Servings 9 Bagels
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast Rapid Rise
- 1 cup water warm
Apple Pie Filling
- 15 oz can of Apple Pie fillingg Dice or chop apples into small chunks
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 qt Boiling Water
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tbsp Cornmeal
- Set Bread machine to “Quick” and “Dough” (Traditional dough making methods can be used)
- Dry mix the Flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Pour into bread machine. Pour to create a volcano type peak of flour. Spoon the yeast into a little depression in the peak of flour. Gently pour the warm water around the base of the flour. Start bread machine and let it cycle through the mix and rise cycles (Normally 45 minutes)
- In a separate bowl mix the Apple Pie Filling, 3 Tbsp Sugar, Cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
- When the bread machine dough mix and rise cycles are complete remove the dough. Let dough rest on a lightly floured surface.
- In a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Cut dough into 9-12 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb or finger. Twirl the dough on your finger, thumb, or knife handle, to enlarge the hole to the size you like. Do not over do it though.
- Cover the shaped bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cover cookie sheet (or Dutch Oven) with wax paper and lightly spray oil. Sprinkle covered cookie sheet (or Dutch Oven) with cornmeal. Set oven or coals for Dutch Oven for a baking temperature of 375°
- Transfer the raw dough bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange the boiled bagels on the prepared cookie sheet or the Dutch Oven. Brush tops with egg white. Spoon a generous glob of Apple Pie filling into the center hole of each bagel.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven or Dutch Oven, for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.
- Best served warm with butter melted. Pulled wax paper and bagels off the cookie sheet and onto a wire rack to cool. Remove from baking wax paper when cooled with a spatula (don't loose the apple filling) and place on clean waxed paper. Seal in zip lock or small loaf bags once completely cooled. To serve, warm first (microwave about 25 seconds) and serve with melted butter on top.
This is a basic Bagel Dough recipe. You can experiment with whole wheat flour, Agave in place of sugar, and a variety of toppings and ingredients such as cheese, seeds, raisins, cranberries, etc.